Sunday, November 18, 2012

November 18, 2012

Today was a perfect sunny November day.  I had to walk the beach and be close to the Source.  Walking the beach I remember.  Remember who I am in the whole economy of Life.  Remember where my feet have travelled before and grateful for the roads that brought me closer to my soul's journey and grateful for the roads I no longer need to travel.

I then went to see a friend who was moving.  She wanted me as a witness to how she left the place so it would pass inspection.  She was so behind in her packing that I stayed and helped for a couple of hours.  While sweeping she said to me, "I know you were a nun and I hope you don't mind if I ask, but do you believe Jesus is the Savior?" 

In the past I would have hesitated to answer not wanting to offend her religion, but today I could speak from my truth.  "No," I said, "I don't think he was the Savior as Christians have come to claim.  I don't believe he came to begin a Church.  He was a Jew and was preaching to Jews. I don't believe in the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Ghost.  That is how Catholics came to define God.  Native Americans speak of Great Spirit, other religions or traditions have different names, gods and goddesses.  God, or the Divine is much bigger and so far above our human comprehension that our words are only attempts at defining spiritual experience.  We can't define what Divinity is but  I do believe we can experience it."  Then she thanked me for staying and helping her.  I asnwered, "Well, the Bible does say, do unto others. And that I do believe."

Oprah used to ask her guests "What do you know for sure?" I remember trying to answer that and came up wanting, as I was still shedding the old skins of organized religion.  But now, when I listen to the truth of my own experience,  I would say that we need to be humble at the question of God.  To be in awe of the magnificence all around us: that a seed has all the potential in it of a fruit or a tree. To be grateful when we experience a oneness with Life, when we meet someone at a soul level.  I know that we need to walk in trust for the very future we are creating with the Universal Energy. 

I know for sure that I am not alone. There are so many ways to be present to Presence.


Sanctuary

Eternal ebbing and flowing,
beat of a heart
covering the earth,
arms encircling each continent
touching sand and rock
embracing presence,
holy place I return to
for renewal and strength.

Lost in this ocean sanctuary
I am reborn and find myself again.
 
Peace

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see that you're back, Helen! There is so much to talk about here -- no saviors for me, either! Still hold to the belief that it's all a man-made system; all about control of the people, etc. Discussion group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's where the concept of free will comes in. This has challenged philosophers and theologians for centuries.

      Delete